Tuesday 6 January 2015

Ep, 11 - The Contest Nobody Could Win

January 6, 2015

Writer: Casey Piotrowski
Director: Asaad Kelada
Original Air Date: January 29, 1979

I was watching this episode, noting how much of the original music is used and named, when I hit the 16:20 minute point and a show I'd never seen before rolled out before me.

If you had watched WKRP in syndication, or from the 2006 first season DVD set, you know that Vincent Schiavelli played the "impostor" Don Pesola. This famous character actor is easily recognizable from films such as "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"; "Fast Times at Ridgemount High" and "Ghost." You might remember Jennifer and Mr. Carlson discussing the "Dungarees vs Suits" argument. You certainly remember that, after causing the problem in the first place, Johnny ends up saving the day.

None of those things happened.

Which sent this intrepid blogger to the Internet!

It turns out that, in their move to preserve the original episodes as much as possible, Shout Factory came across an "original" version of the episode with a much different ending. So they included this version in the box set.

Now we have Carlson confronting Andy directly with the "Dungarees vs Suits" argument and Andy taking full responsibility for Johnny's mistake. We have the episode ending with Johnny making a plea directly to the listeners to help pay off his debt to the station. But most importantly, we have a completely different Don Pesola!


Here's the con man we know and love!


And here's the guy Shout Factory saved from the dustbin of history, John Wheeler!

Nothing in the box set explains why two endings would have been shot, but watching both (I went back and re-watched the 2006 version, just to make sure I wasn't going crazy) I can understand the reasons for the change.

The original episode (the one on our new box set) gets very slow and serious in the middle, with Carlson, Herb and Les ganging up against Andy, and Andy taking the loss of responsibilities poorly. When he leaves Carlson's office, we're not sure if he might just pack up from WKRP and go find Linda Taylor (Ep. 8 call back!). The impostor gag is telegraphed right from the start, with Mr. PES-ola literally jerking the briefcase of cash away from Mr. Carlson. Finally, the episode ends with an overly long gag of Johnny begging for donations from listeners.

But perhaps the biggest problem with the original version is that the con man gets away with his crime! Johnny is pleading for $10,000, not $5,000 which means WKRP never got the original cash back. In the syndicated version, Johnny walks Mr. Pe-SO-la downstairs then quickly returns with the money. This is speculation on my part, but I can imagine CBS telling the producers "you can't show the criminal walking away without consequence. Criminals need to face justice on TV."

The original is a darker episode and I kind of enjoy watching Andy not being the golden boy all the time. But personally, I think the syndicated version moves better and delivers bigger laughs.

Now, how about we discuss what actually happens in the show!

I've written in this blog before that the primary theme of WKRP in Cincinnati is the conflict between the younger and older generations. I've called it a battle between the Rock and Roll Generation and the older staff. Herb sees the same theme around him and breaks it all down to his theory of the Dungarees versus the Suits.

Perhaps it's not surprising that a man who spends so much time and effort in his appearance would break down the generational divide of the 1960's and '70's as a clothing issue but what I found the funniest is, he isn't using "Dungarees versus the Suits" symbolically. Herb is literally telling Les that the issues are a "smoke screen;" this is a battle of what people are wearing. Herb's life view is people are what they wear! When he says "Some of the fathers are wearing Dungarees too!" he quite honestly believes that it's the pants that are causing the problem.

Of course, Herb's biggest problem is Dungaree wearer Andy, and that young upstart Andy has been taking responsibilities and importance away from Herb simply through intelligence and competence at work. Andy hasn't put in years, sucked up to the Big Guy and worn the right clothes to get to where he is, and those are the only ways Herb knows how to do his job. We saw Herb's insecurity and jealousy of Andy right from the pilot. Herb has been waiting for Andy to mess up but unfortunately for him (and humorously for us), Herb can't take advantage of the opportunity.

For those fans whose deepest wish with this box set was the reestablishment of the original music, this episode is a Godsend. Even the contest clips, which were SUPPOSE to be too short to recognize, have been restored! The names of the songs and artists in the contest had to be redubbed in syndication. On top of those, a lot more music is played: Albert King's "Born Under a Bad Sign" and Captain Beefheart's "Suction Prints" both get played and named here. (The audience even laughs at the album title "Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)" as if they believe it to be a made up joke album. It's not. Captain Beefheart was just crazy).

Roy

Late edit (April 2016) - this posting of "WKRP ReLived) is far and away my most popular, because of the explanation of the edit. Thank you for reading it! I'd love for you to check out the other postings here and perhaps even leave some of your own comments and thoughts about WKRP. I can assure you, this blog in not about making any money - it's about reliving our love of a quirky TV show! Please share this love and thank you again.

28 comments:

  1. I'm on a WKRP Facebook group (simply called WKRP in Cincinnati if you're interested) and we've been wondering about this episode ever since the box set came out. We have speculated that what we're seeing is, as you say, an original ending. I have a question for you. Your paragraph beginning "It turns out that...." suggests that you found a web page that explains this. I searched the net myself and found no explanation--indeed my searching is what brought me to your page. What exactly was your source for this information? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, thank you for leaving a comment! I was beginning to think this blog was just going out into the ether. I will definitely check out the Facebook group.

      I purposely try to stay away from much other writing about WKRP so that the opinions on this blog are my own. However, I did have to research this episode, because watching it was such a mind-blowing experience! I thought I knew every line, and here comes 10 minutes of new dialogue!

      I came across this review of the boxset in Mcleans magazine (I see from your other comment that you are also Canadian, so you know what that is) that discusses all the changes that were restored with its release. It talks about "The Contest Nobody Could Win" specifically.

      http://www.macleans.ca/culture/television/wkrp-in-cincinnati-the-complete-series-home-video-review/

      I plan to start writing about season two very soon. I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to add more comments.

      Roy

      Delete
    2. First of all, thank you for leaving a comment! I was beginning to think this blog was just going out into the ether. I will definitely check out the Facebook group.

      I purposely try to stay away from much other writing about WKRP so that the opinions on this blog are my own. However, I did have to research this episode, because watching it was such a mind-blowing experience! I thought I knew every line, and here comes 10 minutes of new dialogue!

      I came across this review of the boxset in Mcleans magazine (I see from your other comment that you are also Canadian, so you know what that is) that discusses all the changes that were restored with its release. It talks about "The Contest Nobody Could Win" specifically.

      http://www.macleans.ca/culture/television/wkrp-in-cincinnati-the-complete-series-home-video-review/

      I plan to start writing about season two very soon. I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to add more comments.

      Roy

      Delete
    3. Hi I've been wondering about this episode myself. Thanks for sharing the info! But this you may not have realized but I have seen both versions of this episode on T.V. before. I watched both as re runs. I'm going to try to find out more on this. Sincerely Tom.

      Delete
    4. I was glad I took the time to investigate this too. I noticed the difference right away. I only saw the syndicated version years later on Canadian TV. Thanks for the explanation, it adds to my appreciation of the show.

      Delete
  2. I was watching this today, expecting the ending i knew too well, then the whole new fake (fake fake? Orignal fake?) PeSOla showed up, i thought "huh?" Then the ending, i seriously questioned my memory, then i thought maybe i am in an alternate universe. So glad i found this blog! Still don't discount the alternate universe thing though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for blogging this. I just got the box set this Christmas, watched that episode about 10 days ago, and my boyfriend and I were so disappointed! Then I looked the topic up online several times without finding an answer. You think they would have included the televised version in the special features, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this blog post! I am too young to have watched WKRP's original airings but I remember seeing it in syndication as a kid. This was the one episode I specifically remembered more than any others, so when I bought the boxset, got to this episode and it was different, my mind was blown and I thought I made the whole thing up.

    You have saved my sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is wild to see the version on the boxed set dvd. I bought the single episode via Amazon streaming to see the difference and I think the changes were shot much later than the original episode. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm long overdue in getting going watching my boxed set, and I just now watched this episode. It was jarring and perplexing, and when it ended, I sat that dumbstruck, trying to figure out what I'd just seen. A quick Google search brought me to your blog. Thanks for validating my sanity and providing info on what happened here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for solving this mystery for me, I was beginning to wonder if I was suffering from 'The Mandella Effect'. I didn't know the original actors name, I just knew he'd appeared in Ghost and so I was able to google him and ended up here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just watched the original (non Schiavelli) version on youtube and got confused. Thanks for this. I thought I was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I haven’t been a victim of the Mandela effect! 😂 Thank You for the explaination. Why this was never indicated as an alternate ending or original version is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are we clear as to which one actually ran on CBS? Was it just the Schiavelli episode? Or did one run on CBS and the other in syndication? I only remember the Schiavelli episode and was surprised by the ending in the otherwise excellent Shout! set.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just watched this episode last night...feels like a WKRP episode that was lost in a vault...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is NOT the original version. I watched it when it was originally aired and no...this version that makes NO SENSE was not the original. The one everyone is familiar with is absolutely the one that aired on January 29, 1979.

    What happened almost certainly goes along with what you said about the hiatus. They probably filmed the terrible Shout Factory ending originally, and then during the hiatus, realized how awful it was and realized that the episode needed a conclusion that was actually FUNNY. So they refilmed it. And Shout put the other one in because they couldn't get the rights to Nicolette Larson's Lotta Love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not sure if this will help the mystery or deepen it... but both versions were originally broadcast, first-run, THE SAME NIGHT.

    I know this because, as a bored teenager living on on the Canadian prairie who had a great love of the show, it wasn't uncommon for me to watch the first-run episodes twice on the night they come out. We received American networks on our cable, but from a more Eastern time zone. I would watch the show on there, then again an hour later when the local station played it. And, lo and behold, it ended differently! My brothers and I couldn't imagine why they would do that, and I've wondered about it all these years. So glad to have found this site to prove to myself that I didn't imagine it!

    My theory is that a test screen audience somewhere didn't like the original ending, so it was quickly reworked and reshot before broadcast... but the original may have already shipped for international distribution. Sounds iffy, but remember this was back in the day when the shipping of physical media still held a place in the TV world. In any case, it would be great to hear from a network exec or writer as to why exactly they did this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Forget to mention, I can't remember which version was broadcast in which country.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy crap really? I Never Knew about the original as i had grown up thinking it was a Schiavelli episode. I have the set and The TOTAL SHOCK of seeing a different Pasola say the same lines in an obviously flawed ending was nothing short of Disturbing. What? The episode ends with Johnnys voice joking about another contest where the prize is, oh i dont remember, but obviously a dj joke, was Perfect. It made such Sense. Johnny had gotten the money back, somehow, and quipped to Carlson that ostensibly He was in the clear. Then Lotta love is played Under his voiceover as the shot shown is morning traffic that Any DJ would be proud to be heard over. Not getting the rights made little sense as you could put Johnnys voice over anything at the time, but to omit whole scenes? And plot points? And not to mention a whole different Actor? I really need someone to explain That Logic

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thought this was a case of the Mandela effect for sure! I thought I was in a parallel universe. So glad I have a copy of the correct version where Johnny saves the day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Shout Factory ending makes sense of the other's ending showing a car driving away (getaway) on the interstate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So grateful for this blog. I'm really late to the table here (I had been holding out for a COMPLETELY restored WKRP set, but finally recognized that that's not going to happen). I'm glad to see there is consensus on which version of The Contest Nobody Could Win is best. I'm having trouble getting over Shout! Factory's decision to include the version they did in their box set (good point, jkfan87 re Nicolette Larson's song). It's not just that the Schiavelli version is funnier, it's that it brings the tension of the Dungarees vs Suits theme full circle. 'Dungarees vs Suits' as pointed out, is Herb's clothing-centric take on the old hip vs square divide. That Johnny is able to determine that Schiavelli (as the imposter) "knows even less about music than you two" [referring to Herb and Les] in a matter of seconds is a deeply satisfying – and exceedingly rare – instance where the value of being 'hip' pays off in terms that the squares/suits can understand: $5,000. There's nary a case in popular lore (fiction or otherwise) where being hip reaps such instantaneous and quantifiable rewards. That it's cut out of Shout! Factory's box set is a real loss.

    ReplyDelete
  20. guys a huge fan (Burlington Ontario) and re watching, this contest episode messed me up as well, this was so fun to read thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had recently purchased the Complete set of WKRP, and just finished watching the discussed episode, and I was questioning myself if I had dreamed seeing the Schiavelli episode. I was expecting to see Johnny offering to slowly pay back the $5,000.00. I immediately went to look it up on the internet and found this blog. Thank goodness I wasn’t losing my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The "Johnny Saves the Day" ending is the only one I have ever seen, including the original broadcast in 1979. I really didn't like the Shout Factory version at all.

    ReplyDelete