Tuesday 20 February 2018

Ep. 62 - Out to Lunch

February 20, 2018

Story: Ben Elisco, Teleplay: Peter Torokvei
Director: Dolores Ferraro
Original Air Date: March 14, 1981

If you are reading this blog for the first time, welcome! If you go back through these posts, you'll eventually be able to anticipate what does and doesn't impress me about "WKRP in Cincinnati". Go back as far as the third episode "Les on a Ledge" to learn my thoughts about how this show handles the 1980's staple of a "Very Special Episode (VSE)." Or check out "Who Is Gordon Sims?" or "In Concert" or as recently as "Venus and the Man" just a few episode ago to learn my thoughts.

Never mind, I can't wait for you to go back that far! Here's the gist of it: one of the great strengths of "WKRP in Cincinnati" is that, for a sit-com from the late '70's and early '80's, its writers brought topical issues to the screen without being heavy handed about the content. Their well-rounded characters act and react to difficult situations in ways we as loyal audience members recognize as being consistent. Most importantly, even when the show got very serious, it never forgot that it was, first and foremost a comedy show! Tension is regularly undercut with big laughs.

If you've watched "Out to Lunch" yet, you know why I am bringing all of this up. This episode seems like it is from a different TV show! The story is credited to Ben Elisco, who didn't write anything else for the show and only has one other writing credit on IMDB. The characters all seem disjointed from how we know them and the steady drumbeat of judgement against Herb from the rest of the staff feel forced and false. This is a poorly written episode.

But I can completely understand why the producers would want to make this episode: Frank Bonner playing drunk! Bonner once again is the WKRP MVP with a subtle, sloppy performance. He's not play "drunk" like you usually see it. He's playing someone who is amped "up"; someone who is drinking just to keep the fake smile on his face a little longer. Herb says as much to the Big Guy in their conversation at the end. He's not slurring and bleary eyed - he's wired!

This episode does feature perhaps 'KRP's most famous "before he was famous" guest stars in future "Coach" and "The Incredibles" star, Craig T. Nelson. Nelson plays media buyer Charlie Bathgate who has been stringing Herb along for a good time, pretending to be discussing a big sales deal when really he had been fired weeks earlier. Why was he fired? "Any excuse and out you go. And I'll tell you something... I don't drink that much either." Once again, the image of Herb's possible future is heavy handed, but Nelson does a really nice job being on one hand classy enough to look legitimate and on the other, obnoxious enough to be an unemployable drunk.

According to the story, Herb's only really been drinking heavily like this for a couple of months, but already the losses are piling up: fumbling the record store account, not seeing his family, the threats to his job, his relationship with his coworkers, and finally a $5,000 Irish Sweepstakes ticket. He tells Carlson "it hasn't been a good month." It tells a lot about Herb that it's the Sweepstakes ticket that really catches his attention and makes him reevaluate his life, with Mr. Carlson's help.

How '1981' is it that Carlson pours Herb and himself each a scotch before discussing alcoholism with Herb? Probably as '1981' as all of the off-handed drunk driving reference made in this episode! (example: "I have to drive because I can't walk.") But the lines sound like they are being read out of a pamphlet entitled "So You Think You're an Alcoholic." Earlier in the show, Carlson is stating how remarkable it is Herb can drink at this pace. Now he's telling Herb "statistically you are (an alcoholic)! Someone who drinks every day is an alcoholic." Then Herb responds to questions about his drinking with "But I'll tell you why I do. It helps me at my job. I just use it as a crutch." His answers sound canned; not like the Herb we know

The worst sin of this episode is that it is simply not funny. Herb and Charlie's hijinks just look sad and cautionary to us. "But I'm not lecturing you!" Carlson repeats this phrase FIVE TIMES. This is what passes for a joke in this episode, which is what makes it so different from other WKRP VSE's. There is no really great joke to undercut the action. The arm-in-arm final shot seems too pat - too regular for a sit com of WKRP's abilities.

Roy

Special Note: I was interviewed about WKRP! The excellent "Hold My Order, Terrible Dresser," the deep dive history nerd WKRP in Cincinnati podcast spoke to me about my thoughts and memories of the show. Catch it here...

http://www.holdmyorderterribledresser.com/2018/02/hmotd-051-listen-up-fellow-babies.html

I come on at about the 58 minute mark, but if you like this blog, please go back and listen to the entire podcast. Thanks to host Rob McDougall for the interview.

Other Note: I rarely discuss music that was not licensed for the boxset, but this is a VSE in a musical sense as well: it originally included the Beatles song "Hear Comes the Sun" in the background when Charlie reveals to Herb he's been fired, and the U2 song "I Will Follow" in the going to lunch epilogue. That would have been one of the first times a U2 song was played on American television. Alas, both songs were replaced in in the boxset version. They weren't prominent or important to the plot anyway. However, the Paul McCartney song "Every Night" and the Bee Gees "Jive Talkin'" are still included.

More Other Notes: Up to the mid 1970's, most lotteries were illegal in the U.S., Canada and the U.K.. So the Irish Sweepstakes was famous and quite popular. Johnny compliments Bailey out of the blue and for no particular reason. I think this may be a link from last week's episode and into their future relationship.




3 comments:

  1. I have been rewatching and have commented on a few of the first season episodes, but skipped to this one last night after reading your review, as I remembered this being a good episode.

    And I have to say, I disagree with your review! (Mainly I have been agreeing lol.) I think you are looking at this through a 2018 lens, and not as something of its time. Remember, this is only 14 (or something like that) years after Mungo Jerry sang "Summertime" with the lyric "have a drink, have a drive." Back in the day, drink driving wasn't seen as the problem it is today (and almost ironically, at one point in the late 80s or maybe in the 90s, here in the UK we had an anti-drink-driving PSA which used "In the Summertime" as the music for it (I looked it up on youtube - man it is still as shocking today as it was in 1992 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ma_Xv7rGM)

    So the drink driving bits are more of their time.

    As for the cast berating Herb, I felt it was more people who could see someone who, for all his faults, they still liked, and didn't want to see him wash his life away with alcohol.

    The episode seemed well written, the open sets the scene with various stuff about being bought lunch, the scenes in Carlson's office with Andy and Herb were well done, and Carlon's "I'm the strong, silent type" gag works well in the context of the character we know and love.

    The little exchange between Andy and Les when Les and Herb are in the Bullpen and Andy leans in and says "I want to talk to you" is a great piece of writing and pretty funny.

    Bathgate is excellent, his scenes with Herb work well, although I did wonder why he didn't mention his firing to Herb (or maybe the ambiguity of whether he mentioned it and Herb forgot, or didn't mention it because he was enjoying being lunched and bought drinks by Herb was what the writers intended.)

    Also, I love the idea of Herb "Pouring few cocktails and inking a few deals" - this was probably more common back then - drinking at work is much more frowned upon nowadays.

    And props to Les for bringing life to the small amount of dialogue he had, particularly his itemisation of what is in Herb's desk drawer.

    So, overall, I thought this was a good episode for the subject it tackled, and was probably one of the few shows to tackle something like this back in the day (Taxi did an episode about Louis' drinking, although I can't remember if it dealt with alcoholism (I googled but couldn't find it.) I have mentioned Taxi in a couple of other comments I have made on here, as you can probably tell I am a fan of it - I remember it from when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bullpen exchange with Frank, Andy and Les was one of my favorites ever. I remember seeing it years ago, and it always stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete